Friday 25 April 2008

Punch Records!

First of all I would like to ask who said that young people were at the height of technology? I’d never even heard of blogging… until now. So excuse me if it takes me a while to get into things!

So, here goes…
I’m Jessica! Originally from Stoke on Trent, I’m now in my second year at Chester University in Warrington but currently staying in Birmingham.
I’m quite an outgoing person with a passion for music and I love to sing! I enjoy meeting new people and I love university life! :)

At the moment though… I’m attempting to adapt to the life of full time work as I’m carrying out a five-week placement at Punch Records as part of my uni course.

More often that not when I tell people that I am studying music and marketing as a combined degree course they question how the two subjects fit together.
To be honest it wasn’t my intention to do marketing as I had no past experience or knowledge about the subject but I chose it and have enjoyed what my course has entailed so far!
I even began to question the link myself. However, being at Punch Records, which has taught me the importance of the knowledge of both marketing and music.




Punch Records, as you may or may not know, is the UK’s Premier music development agency, which specializes in a range of music events and touring productions. Well, that is what it says on their website- http://www.punchrecords.co.uk/. Check it out for more information. You know you want to!

As part of my placement I am to liaise with the punch team and support them during the build up to the big event Bass Festival 2008.



Check out this website to get involved http://www.bassfestival.co.uk/

That is really what this blog is all about!
It’s in short to introduce to you what Punch Records, as a company, set out to do and to help to promote the events so that you can read about them in more detail and develop more of an understanding AND to even help you get a better insight about the artists coming to the events!

Back to Punch- Using the production of Arts, music, photography, film, conferences (with very good topics) and theatre, Punch has developed many quality events for young people, which provides them with an exciting insight into education and culture, supporting them in their interests and helping them to acknowledge their roots.

By taking genres of music like Hip-hop and rap, they have developed events primarily to establish its roots and, by inviting international artists, celebrating the music itself.

Although only a small team of exciting people, Punch is a well-established raw company that relies on quality not quantity.
I think it’s extremely refreshing to see such an Arts company that believes in and is truly determined to give back to the community!

Following the success of Bass Festival 2006 and 2007, Bass Festival 2008, which kicks of on the 31st May, is hyped up to be even bigger and better. No arguments there!
Concentrating on just one city in 2006 the festival expanded to involve 3 cities in 2007 and is now set to grace 5 cities with its presence this year!

Bass Festival 2008 is designed to promote and celebrate the heritage of British Black and Urban music and arts scene, especially from the Midlands.
It will cover elements of-
Mcing, Djing, Graffiti, B-boying (including master classes), Beat boxing, urban fashion, entrepenurism and theatre, film and photography.

Learn to break dance/beat box, listen to music, celebrate the art of graffiti, meet new people, be within touching distance of huuuuge artists or just have a good drink and a dance!

Sound like your cup of tea? Or think that you know some one who would be interested? Then check out the websites above and keep browsing my blog as I will be updating it as much as I can! :)
I hope to see you there!

No comments: